Sunday, October 18, 2009

Here are a couple of Hindi movies that should have been BIG hits. It's rather unfortunate they didn't do well at the box office.

Socha Na Tha- This is Imtiaz Ali's ( of Jab We Met)directorial debut. The movie is so nicely put, it makes you smile at the simplicity. But, alas! Both Ayesha Takia and Abhay Deol were infants for the film industry assuring nobody knew them and in turn went to the theaters to sneak peak.
Make sure you catch up with it the next time it comes on TV, or hell, get a CD.
Best Scene - Gaah! The movie is full of them!

TOTALLY RECOMMENDED.

Swades- I really can't get over the fact that this movie was not the kind of hit that it should have been. The scene with the guy selling the glass of water for 25 paise, and the one where Mohan Bhargav (SRK) goes to meet the farmer for lease made me cry. (And no, I don't cry at movies, last time I cried in a movie was while watching Titanic, and NOT when Jack dies, but where the mother is trying to put her babies to sleep when she knows perfectly well that they are all about to die)
This movie, I believe is by far the best work of Ashutosh Govariker AND Shahrukh Khan. MUST WATCH FOR ALL INDIANS.
Best scene - Scene with the glass of water, the other one mentioned above, the one where the elder folks mock him for being a brahmin and yet interacting with the folks of other castes whom they believe to be beneath them. I am a brahmin myself, and believe me you, we still have folks who think they are above and beyond everyone else for just one that reason. I think it's RIDICULOUS.

P.S. All my friends going to the US of A next year, WATCH IT.

Aamir - Although I was never really a fan of, what's his name, yes! Rajiv Khandelwal, I have got to admit, I had a new found respect for his acting when I saw this movie. It gave me shivers(and not in a good way!).
Best scene - The closing scene, where Aamir(RK) is smiling to himself despite the fact that he knows he is about to get blown away but, he is saving a lot of lives by giving up his own.

Aloo Chaat- I just saw this movie today. Although it's nothing extra ordinary, but I loved the way the story goes. Fun to watch and leaves you with a smile. Isn't that the purpose of entertainment?
Best Scene - The one where the firang is sun-bathing on the terrace and guys from the entire mohalla stand on their respective terraces and sigh. (lol, typical north indian mentality!)

Next take - Hit movies that make you wonder, like.. how!?!

No comments: