Friday, March 18, 2011

The generation gap.

I am really tired of people of generations before us (the aunts and uncles of our parents), calling us, "the spoiled ones".

Thank god for our parents to be the chain between us; separating the two!

I don't think there is anything wrong with the way we are, I really don't.

We do not discriminate on the basis of where one is coming from? What caste they belong to? How rich or poor they are?
We don't even Care to find out about all that. We do not live our lives like string puppets, with the society being the puppet master.

We are not brought up believing that girls need to be custom made to take care of the household and boys need to do a suitable 'respectable' job. We dare to think beyond doctors and engineers.

We do not judge a person based on whom they love. We don't care as long as they are happy and it does not hurt anybody.

We do not leave our friends when society goes against them. We stay right where we are and stare back at the society. We do not care if you think we are audacious.

So what if we party hard and go out! Don't we work as much? Aren't we doing well? Aren't we eager to earn our own money and spend that?

We do not care if someone is working in a food joint or if someone is working in a bank, we believe that work is work. Period.

And yes, we believe in knowing more about our life partners than getting to know what they look like on the night of our weddings.

Being in a relationship is bad, holding hands or kissing in public is bad but expecting a girl to have a child within a year of an arranged marriage is not?
Really now?

I hate it when the oldies back at my native place tell me how they (we) are superior because they (we) are Brahmins. I am the black sheep of the family just because I don't care that I am a Brahmin and I do not thank god for it, every living day of my life. I just thank god for my being.
What decides if a person is superior for the sensible folks of my generation is the nature of that person, the attitude, the qualification, the knowledge and not what caste he/she belongs to.

And yes, I am a girl, and I want to travel the world, meet new people, make my own money and start with something of my own. I have not planned my life around a marriage and I don't intend to.
And no, I will not settle unless I am completely sure, whether that's when I am 23 or 43. You think I am too bold, I think you don't have to live my life, so you are nobody to talk.

We believe in respecting the elders of the society. I look up to so many people. My grand father for one. He was the kindest, most modest and the most sensible human being that I have ever known of. And I love him. I remember him telling me, that no matter what the world says, pursue your dreams, listen to your parents but with time, you will be grown up enough to decide what's wrong and what's right. And when you know something is wrong, don't do it, and don't let anyone force you into doing it.

If only all of them thought that way. They have the wealth of information that could be more helpful to us than we realise. We need the knowledge and experience of the elders to not make a mistake that could be avoided. But does that mean that we should be stopped from making our own experiences?
It is OKAY to make mistakes as long as we learn from them.
It is OKAY to try something new, for all we know, there might just be the most incredible thing at the end of the tunnel.
It is OKAY to have an opinion.
It is OKAY to not do something against your principles because the society wants you to.
And most importantly, it is OKAY to have your own set of principles because everyone is different and we must respect that.


I am not saying my generation is perfect, we are flawed, all of us. But not because we don't think like we are expected to. That's just not fair.

Because if we did, 46.65% of the country would have been unemployed only because they belong to the fair sex.
There would have been no writers, artists, photographers etc. Just doctors, engineers and politicians.

People would have been discriminated against and half the nation would have lived with guilt and vengeance.

Believe it or not, but I think we are doing just fine to move forward in a brighter, more honest manner.
And I am sure that even in difficult times, we'll find new ways and sail through, because we can.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is good to see people from your generation stepping up for themselves. I agree with your points, and appreciate the fact that you are accepting that you're at fault as well. I have a nephew your age, and I never really understood him. Then I spoke to him only to find out what a nice guy he is in reality.

What we need is a more open communication process.

Good work, kid.

Avanika said...

Wow, I had no idea my blog runs past much experienced people as well.
: )

I am glad you appreciate the post, and I am even more happy about the fact that you tried to talk to your nephew before writing him off.

You are right, we need open communication for the thoughts to flow. You see, we have grown up listening and watching the traditions and the elders of the house, but how many elders really try to understand what are our views on it? Hardly any. And that is what causes a feud.

Most of us are close to our parents so there's harmony there, at least to some extent. But there are only a few of us that have had the chance to interact with the grandparents so much, and to put our view points on the table.

So yes, unless we sit down and strike a conversation and be ready for criticism (both of us), it will be difficult to understand one another.

Anonymous said...

Very well framed. Like the way you shared your opinions on the wall.
Keep up the great job!